ADMISSION POLICY FOR FOREIGN NATIONALS AND NRI CANDIDATES
ADMISSION POLICY FOR FOREIGN NATIONALS AND NRI CANDIDATES
The policy applies to following Candidates:
- Foreign Nationals
- Candidate who holds a passport/ Citizenship of a country other than India
- A Candidate who has an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) or Person of Indian Origin (PIO) Card and also holds a Passport of a country other than India
- Non-Resident Indian (NRI)
- Indian Citizen whose qualifying examination is from an International Board/ Foreign University
Centre for International Students
The university has set up a Centre for International Students, as single window, to guide the foreign nationals and NRI candidates regarding admission process and other formalities.
The university offers reservation up to 5% of the seats in UG and PG programmes of study to Foreign Nationals and NRI students.
Eligibility for admission to Under Graduate Programmes
For all programmes offered at UG level, the minimum eligibility is a senior school examination certificate (class 12) from any recognized or accredited board of education in India or abroad.
Eligibility for Admission to Post Graduate Programmes
For PG programmes, candidates must have obtained a Bachelor’s degree under the 10+2+3 or equivalent pattern from any recognized university or institute in India or abroad. The eligibility criterion for different programmes is the same as applicable for Indian students, mentioned in the academic handbook and prospectus of the university.
Eligibility for Admission to M.Phil and Ph.D. Programmes
A foreign national/ NRI student may be considered for admission to PhD / M.Phil programme without requiring Research Entrance Test (RET) clearance as per following provisions:
- A foreign national who is a recipient of the fellowship of Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) or cultural exchange fellowship of the Government of India or a recipient of a research fellowship sponsored by the Government of his/her own country.
- A self-financing foreign national who is admitted through the Embassies/High commission of his/her country in India or admitted under an MOU with due clearance from the Indian Missions abroad and granted a research Visa.
- The equivalence of the degree possessed by the foreign applicants is settled by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU). However the Research Admission Committee (RAC) of the concerned faculty of the University examines the degrees and certificates and takes necessary decision regarding specialization and pre-requisites for the proposed research before their admission. A foreign national is admitted to the Ph. D. programme only if the degree possessed by them entitles them for enrolment as Ph. D. scholar in the universities of his/her own country, provided that the same are not lower than the criterion prescribed by IISU Byelaws, else the criterion of this University shall apply.
- The supernumerary quota for self-financing foreign nationals shall be restricted to a maximum of 15% of the total available seats in a department/ discipline.
Requirement for Certified Transcripts
Certified transcripts in English language, listing all the courses with marks or grades obtained are required as evidence of academic performance. Transcripts in languages other than English are not acceptable.
Requirement for Equivalence Certificate
All the candidates with foreign certificates/degrees must obtain an equivalence certificate from Association of Indian Universities (AIU) (www.aiuweb.org), which can be obtained from AIU office located at 16 Comrade Indrajit Gupta Marg, New Delhi. The candidates can refer to the link http://www.aiu.ac.in/Evaluation/evaluation.asp for details of the same. Application for admission will be considered only when equivalence certificate is obtained and submitted at the admission office in the university.
- In case, if the law so demand, when a foreign national is given admission to any programme by the university, the required information (such as name of the candidate, nationality, address, course being pursued, purpose and duration of the stay in India) will be submitted to the Department of Home and External Affairs and/or local police.
Requirement for Medical Insurance and Medical Fitness Certificate
Foreign Nationals and NRI students are required to have medical insurance in order to meet the medical treatment expenses, which are not available at the university medical facility. They also need to undergo medical examination and obtain medical fitness certificate. As per government rules, all international students entering India on a student visa have to be tested for HIV and will not be given admission if found to be positive.
Requirement of English Language Proficiency Certificate
If the candidate is from a country where English is not the primary language, she is required to submit English language proficiency certificate/ TOEFL score (minimum 60)/ IELTS score (minimum 6) before admission.
Admission Process of Foreign Nationals and NRI Candidates
The NRI and foreign students can access the information regarding admissions and courses offered from the university website, www.iisuniv.ac.in. Candidates keen on admission can fill up the online admission form for “International Students” available on the university website and submit the same along with the required documents before the deadline.
Once, the applications are received and scrutinized by the university, an admission offer is sent to interested eligible candidates for VISA applications etc.
After the VISA clearance, the candidate may submit confirmation for seeking admission and deposit fees online. However, for courses, where GD/PI are necessary and in research degree programmes, the candidates are required to visit the University for completing the admission formalities and pay the required fees. After, the candidate arrives at the university; the Centre for International Students of the university offers them with one stop support facilities, where information regarding residential arrangements, language support and other facilities available on the campus is provided to make their stay comfortable.
The documents required at the time of admission are as follows:
- Marks card/s of the qualifying examination passed
- Equivalence certificate issued by AIU
- Transfer certificate
- Nationality Certificate (Xerox copy)
- Passport (Xerox copy)
- Student Visa (for UG and PG programmes)
- Research Visa (for M.Phil. and Ph.D. Programmes)
- Accreditation certificate of the school / University
- Insurance certificate
- Degree/ Diploma certificates
- Conduct certificate
- Date of birth certificate
- Certified transcripts in English language listing all the courses with marks or grades obtained/ Table showing the equivalent marks for the grades awarded
- Three passport size photo duly signed by the candidate
The fee structure for all the programmes offered by the university is different for foreign nationals and NRI’s as compared to national candidates. The details of the fee are available on the university website and also in the academic handbook.
The university offers hostel accommodation to the foreign and NRI students on payment of the required fees. However, the students can also take on rent private apartments near the university campus.
The University maintains an “Infirmary” with a qualified nursing Superintendent on duty throughout the day, to provide and facilitate medical assistance and fitness counseling to all the students and staff members. The Infirmary at the University is equipped with the necessary first aid facilities, such as beds, observation table, stretcher, wheel chair, weighing machine, Sphygmomanometer and other requisite medical aids. A Homeopathic doctor and a physician visit the campus on a daily basis. Also doctors with speciality are available on call at any time as per the requirement. The university has tie up with neighboring hospitals for emergency services.
- Admission of international students will be confirmed only after verification of original certificates, medical fitness test and payment of required fees.
- Within a week of arrival in India, candidates are required to get registered with the police in the Foreigner Regional Registration Office (FRRO) of the local Police.